What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is done to cure sever obesity in people. Sever obesity can cause heavy weight which results in various health problems. Bariatric surgery is performed on stomach or intestine. The surgery performed on the patient enables him/her to limit the quantity intake of the food as in this surgery changes are made in the digestive system. This surgery is performed when exercise or diet plans of reducing weight are not helping.
The main principle of this surgery is to reduce the intake of the food and decrease the absorption of the food.
Types of bariatric surgery:-
- AGB (Adjustable Gastric Band)
- This type of surgery is used to reduce the food intake by the patient. In this surgery, a small band like bracelet is placed on the top of the stomach which restricts the opening of the stomach form throat.
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)
- This type of surgery also reduces the intake of the food. Along with it decreases the absorption of the food.
- biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch (BPD-DS)
- This surgery is different from the above mentioned surgery as it is little complex. This type of surgery removes a large part of the stomach and hence encourages the patient to eat less as the patient will; feel filled sooner compared to before surgery.
- vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG)
- This surgery also removes most of the stomach and reduces the intake of the food and absorption of the food.
Post Bariatric surgery
Once the bariatric surgery is completed, the patient needs to take good care of diet. There needs to be a rigorous and lifelong diet plan that has to be followed by the patient. The patient must ensure that his\her weight must not increase as it will cause problems after surgery.